An introductory guide to working with "high shrinkage" fine silver metal clay. This clasp project demonstrate the 'miniaturizing" effect of high shrinkage metal clays. A simple hand-forming project to develop a clearer sense of how to optimize the usage of high shrinkage.
Instantly download your .PDF document tutorial that contains:
- 59 pages of techniques, tips and tricks,
- 57 HD quality photos,
- A shopping resource guide to help you get the things you need,
- Printable templates,
- Links to 11 Supporting online HD video clips.
The project is organized into easy to follow steps which makes it super easy. You'll find in this tutorial tips and tricks from Rodi which will help you create your own beautiful and flowing designs while you develop your hand-forming and carving skills.
This tutorial is good for you IF:
- You own or have access to a KILN!
- Minimal basic soldering skills,
- You would like to integrate the "miniaturizing" effect of high shrinkage rate metal clays into your creations.
As this project is based on "high shrinkage" silver clay, torch firing is not available. If you choose to use a regular fine silver clay, then torch firing may be possible BUT your clasp will be approximately 10% larger. If this fits your designs then .... this tutorial will work for you.
You will be purchasing a single (1) user non-transferable licence to use this tutorial for you own personal use.
For this project you'll need:
- 8 g any HIGH shrinkage (20%+) fine silver clay eg. FYI or Metal Magic,
- Low Temperature Silver Solder Paste,
- Liver of Sulfur,
- Olive oil,
- Baking powder & pumice powder mix or Pre-enamel® surface cleaner,
- Alumina Hydrate (optional but highly recommended, not required for Vermiculite or fiber firing blanket),
- Fine steel brush,
- Baking Powder,
- Silver slip,
- 16 Gauge silver wire – approx. 8-10 cm,
- Distilled water,
- Plastic wrap,
- 97% Alcohol or Ethanol (Denatured Alcohol) - No Rubbing / medical usage alcohol.
- Smooth, even, Non-Porous working surface, (Teflon work-surface, plastic place mats , Acrylic (plexi-glass) or ceramic tile,
- Rotary tool with attachments: Fiber Abrasive Wheel (Fine), Buffing wheel optionally Sandpaper - 320, 400 & 600 grit,
- Small spray bottle (the finer the spray the better),
- Cup warmer,
- Kiln with holding time capacity of 1650° F / 900° C
- Ceramic Crucible - Replacement option: vermiculite or firing blanket,
- Small steel wire brush,
- Flush Cutter - Wire Cutters
- 1 Sheet plastic document protector,
- Small Ball Burnishing tool,
- Small mandrel tool 10 mm & 4 mm round,
- Needle Tool or Crafting knife / Scalpel,
- Hydrator pot or Small air-tight jar & household cleaning sponge,
- Thickness spacers or Playing cards,
- Small paint brush (natural - smooth),
- Makeup applicator sponge,
- Extra fine paint brush (very smooth),
- Clay roller or a piece of a PCV pipe 1” diameter,
- Transparent Acrylic / Plastic / Glass disc approx. 3”,
- Needle file round 3 mm.